Thursday, September 29, 2011

A Confession

Okay, so I am writing this post as an encouragement to myself, not as a plea for people to comment and try to make me feel better about myself.  If I put in writing and make it public, I am much more likely to follow through!
So, in the last 9 months I have gained 15 pounds.  If you have known me for awhile you know that keeping my weight down has never been much of a battle for me. I was blessed with a skinny frame and lots of activities as a child that kept me thin.  But, now I have a few things working against me and it is high time that I take action!

1- The medicine that I am on has a side-effect of making me gain weight easier.  I have been on it for awhile now, but since Jan. I have phased out an additional medicine that had the side-effect of making me lose weight.  Before, I never saw much of difference because the two meds counter-acted each other.  Now I can see that the main med does make me gain weight.  I have since decreased my dosage, but I am fairly certain that I will be on this med long-term.  So I need to make some changes.

2- I have Poly-Cystic Ovary Syndrome.  Docs do not fully understand this syndrome, but they are positive that it has a component that affects the way my body processes carbs.  Most women with PCOS are very overweight.  They are also at a very high risk of Type II diabetes because the body does not maintain the correct levels of insulin.  On top of this, I have a strong family history of Type II diabetes, so I need to be very careful.  As my PCOS has progressed, I can see where my blood-sugar levels have become more erratic, and the majority of my gained weight is in my tummy area (a typical PCOS pattern).  The point is that I should be on a very low carb diet.  I also cannot help but mention that when PCOS ladies lose weight, they tend to increase their fertility.  That would be fantastic!

3- I do not like exercise.  There, I said it! Everything that I did as a kid was fun, and did not feel like work!  They do not have these options for adults!  There is no fun cheerleading team to join as a 30 year old mom!  There is no sprint team to work out with (only you crazy long distance runners!).  I dread going to the gym because I am SO bored.  I have tried taking classes, but those still feel like exercise instead of fun.

SO... if you have actually read this far, thanks! I need to re-train myself to eat different (although I don't eat very many processed foods to begin with), and I need to somehow trick myself into thinking that going to the gym is fun. Ugh. I am praying for a few things... self-discipline (something I lack when it comes to food quantities and working out), that I would focus on getting healthy in the long-term and not the fact that none of my clothes fit, and that I would stop complaining and just deal with.

Okay, I am going to get changed and go to the gym.  Ask me at the end of October how I am doing.
Much love
T





No comments: